Orchestral horn in C
Double-coiled natural horn made of brass, with one master crook (triple-coiled) and two coupler crooks (single-coiled) for changing the key and tuning. Body is constructed in two segments, with soldered coils oriented for placing the right-hand inside the bell. Plain mouthpiece receiver and single bell brace. Funnel-shaped, silver-plated brass mouthpiece. Nominal pitch: 8-foot C. This horn is one of the five known extant instruments made by the still obscure instrument maker and plate worker George Henry Rodenbostel. The composition of the brass alloy of this instrument and its components was studied by Dr. Alice Louise Bacon through standardised non-destructive energy dispersive x-ray fluorescence (XRF). The results revealed that this instrument has a mixture of cementation brass and direct-method brass techniques. This study also allowed to postulate a chronology for dating early brass instruments. This instrument is part of the Frampton-on-Severn volunteers' collection, which was acquired by Squire Nathaniel Winchcombe of Stratford House, Stroud, in August of 1798. At his own initiative and expense, Winchcombe raised a volunteer force as a result from the passing of the Volunteer Defence Act of April 1798, and purchased musical instruments that were to be loaned to the music band constituted by members of the corps.
|Timespan||1763, 18-th, 18th, 18th century, Second half of the 18th century, 3 quarter of the 18th century|
|Subject Terms||Musical instrument|
|Provider||MIMO - Musical Instrument Museums Online|