Clarinet in B-flat
Clarinet made of boxwood, in five sections (barrel, upper joint, middle joint, lower stock joint, bell) with ivory ferrules and brass keywork. Wooden mouthpiece with grooves. Lower stock joint with bell-shaped bulge. Five keys mounted in raised rings, blocks and lower joint stock bulge, with flat, square covers, and flat springs attached to keys. Cranked F-sharp3/C-sharp5. Curiously, the E3/B4 key touch was at some point broken (or was shortened), rounded off and re-sprung (key cover is missing). Nominal pitch: B-flat. This instrument is part of the Frampton-on-Severn volunteers' collection, which was acquired by Squire Nathaniel Winchcombe of Stratford House, Stroud, in August of 1798. At his own initiative and expense, Winchcombe raised a volunteer force as a result from the passing of the Volunteer Defence Act of April 1798, and purchased musical instruments that were to be loaned to the music band constituted by members of the corps.
|Subject Terms||Musical instrument|
|Provider||MIMO - Musical Instrument Museums Online|