This drainage spade, of the 'Tyrone' pattern, was made by W. G. Patterson & Sons of Templepatrick, Co. Antrim, circa 1945–6. It has an ash handle with a curved steel blade. This type of spade was used to cut drainage channels in a peat bank. This spade is part of a large collection of traditional craft products acquired from the British Council in 1960.
|Collection||Museum of English Rural Life, University of Reading|
|Subject Terms||County Tyrone, CRAFTS : metal-working, LAND AND ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT : drainage|