Clark, Gruber & Co. Bank & Mint, Denver, Colo., Clark, Gruber & Co.
View of the Clark, Gruber & Co. building, ca. 1860-1863. On January 18, 1860, the Denver Town Company deeded three lots in Denver City to Clark, Gruber & Company for $600. The company built a two-story brick bank and mint on the corner of McGaa and G Streets (present day 16th and Market Streets). The structure has a simple brick cornice and includes a basement accessible from the street. The Federal style front entry is characterized by its simple squared columns and cornice. Minting of coinage began quickly and between July and October 1860 totaled approximately $120,00. The surrounding area in Denver City was known as the Pike's Peak District, leading to the legend "PIKES PEAK GOLD DENVER" seen on the company's 1860 $10 and $20 gold pieces. In 1863, the federal government bought out the firm for the purpose of setting up a branch mint, but no coinage was ever produced at the site. The mint building was more than double the size of the original with a three-story center tower and flagpole. It was torn down in 1909.
|Country||United States of America|
|Collection||Denver Public Library|
|Subject Terms||Clark, Gruber & Co. (Denver, Colo.)--19th century, Denver (Colo.)--19th century, Mints--Colorado--Denver--19th century, Banks--Colorado--Denver--19th century, Financial facilities--Colorado--Denver--19th century, Clark, Gruber & Co. (Denver, Colo.)--Pictorial works|
|Provider||Plains to Peaks Collective|