house

houseDetached four-bay single-storey lobby entry thatched house with dormer attic, between 1841-1904, probably incorporating fabric of earlier house, extant 1840, on site with single-bay single-storey gabled windbreak. Reroofed, post-2001. Hipped roof with iron mesh-covered replacement oat thatch, post-2001, exposed hazel curvilinear stretchers to ridge between exposed hazel stretchers having exposed scallops, red brick Running bond dwarf chimney stack on rendered base supporting terracotta pots, and paired exposed hazel stretchers to eaves having exposed scallops. Pitched (gabled) slate roof to windbreak with rendered ridge, rendered coping, and no rainwater goods on limewashed eaves. Limewashed lime rendered battered walls over mud wall construction on random rubble stone base. Square-headed window openings with sills, concealed timber lintels, and two-over-two timber sash windows. Square-headed door opening with concrete threshold, limewashed timber lintel, and timber panelled door. Set perpendicular to lane [OS].APPRAISAL:A house of modest size representing an interesting component of the nineteenth-century built heritage of south County Wexford having been put in place as the successor to, if not retaining portions of an existing house (extant 1840) displaying an alternative footprint on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey (published 1841) with the vernacular significance of the composition identified by such attributes as the alignment perpendicular to the line of the lane, the rectilinear lobby entry plan form focused on a characteristic windbreak, the construction in unrefined local materials including substantial sections of "daub" or mud defined by a battered profile, and the high pitched roof retaining a traditional oat thatch finish. Having been sympathetically maintained, the elementary form and massing prevail together with substantial quantities of the historic or original fabric, both to the exterior and allegedly to the interior, thus upholding the character or integrity of a house making a picturesque visual impression in a rural setting.

CountryIreland
CollectionNational Inventory of Architectural Heritage
Year1841, 1904
TimespanNineteenth Century, Twentieth Century
Rightshttp://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
(Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government.  All Rights Reserved.)
Location
Other objects in the vicinity
Repository Pagehttps://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/15414/niah_search_jsp...
Web Pagehttp://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record...
Subject Termshouse
ProviderIrish Manuscripts Commission